Access Code
Sorry, code is incorrect

Security Code - Don't Remove

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

"Immortality and Eternal Light"


Which is more important, life or light?

I've always been fascinated by the fact that when the brother of Jared needed help taking his people across the ocean in the barges that the Lord had instructed him to build, the Lord immediately gave him the answer to the problem of how they would obtain air, but He made the brother of Jared work very hard to solve the problem of how to obtain light. While this is only my own opinion, I see this discrepancy as being very significant. 

For me, one of the many things that the experience of the brother of Jared teaches us is that God gives us breath, no questions asked, but light - His Light, can only be obtained as we participate in the quest to acquire it. We have to work for it.

The breath of life - our birth, is a gift freely given to us all, as will be the everlasting life given to us in the resurrection. It is something we cannot give ourselves. We cannot give birth to ourselves nor resurrect ourselves. We are totally dependent upon the Lord in this regard. To live and breathe is a gift. As King Benjamin teaches us in Mosiah 2:22 the Lord lends us breath.

But Eternal Life, or the kind of life God lives is something we must work for. Although we know that the Lord may lend us breath, we cannot live on borrowed light.  The ten virgins knew they could not share the light-producing oil in their lamps as much as they may have wanted to. It is something personal that each of us must seek to acquire. The unconditional gift of Christ's Atonement is immortality.  The conditional blessing is Eternal Life and Light.


We each come to this earth with the Light of Christ, but we must choose whether we will retain, lose, or increase that light.


The brother of Jared learned that light is something we must participate in acquiring. And he discovered that in the process of seeking to obtain light he ended up personally encountering  the very Light of the world Himself.


So, I wanted to do a training about the brother of Jared's experience in Ether 2-3 for our zone conferences.  I was excited that we found a rock and gem store by the beach where we bought an actual rock that had a light bulb inside of it so that you could illuminate it through a hidden switch. And it was even white and crystal-like in appearance as is described in the text of Ether.

But things didn't go too well from there.  While preparing my presentation I broke the light bulb that goes inside the rock, and it wasn't one that we could easily find a replacement for.

After several trips to different stores we did find one. But then I ended up breaking the wiring mechanism that holds the bulb. (I know, I know, pretty stupid. Please don't ask me how I did it. Did you know the word for idiot in Portuguese is idiota?) When I told President Lisonbee what I had done, after all he had gone through to help me find a replacement bulb, I could see that his patience with me was being tested in a brother-of-Jared like fashion. But to his credit he responded with patience and persistence, not unlike the brother of Jared, and he told me he would try to fix it.

Meanwhile, I also needed some small white stones to represent the 16 stones that the brother of Jared did molten from the rock and that he presented to the Lord asking Him to touch them and illuminate them with light. I didn't really know where to find any rocks that looked like this and we didn't really have time to search for some. I had looked at the rock and gem store, but there was nothing I could use there.

By this time I was feeling less than confident about moving forward with what was starting to feel like an ill-fated presentation. I was beginning to relate to the brother of Jared who recognized what weak and fallen and incapable creatures we are.  Even after all the the brother of Jared did, he knew that after all he could do, his rocks were still just rocks.  And for me, at this point I was feeling pretty insecure about whether to continue with this idea for my presentation.  I was worried that my rocks were not only just rocks, but they were just stupid rocks. But I persisted with my plan anyway.

Every time I wondered where to find some rocks to represent the 16 small white stones, I had the impression that I should look at our house.  We live on the third floor of a seven story building so there really aren't a lot of places to find rocks. There are some gardens surrounding the building but I had never seen any rocks there before. But I kept getting the impression to look at our house.

I looked in the flower bed on our balcony and found nothing.  I went from room to room feeling pretty stupid for looking for rocks inside the house.  I went into the spare bedroom where we sometimes house missionaries and I opened the curtain. I had actually never opened that curtain before.  And lo and behold, this is what I found -


Bingo!  Here were my sixteen small white stones!

Meanwhile, my good husband, who thought he had fixed the electrical thingy for the lamp, tried putting a new bulb in it and the bulb had popped. So we had to go searching for a new electrical thingy. And let me tell you that thingys are hard enough to find in a country you are familiar with, much less in a place where you don't even know what to call the electrical thingy that you need. We were not successful. But President Lisonbee, being the inspired man that he is, had the thought that maybe the problem was the bulb and that even though it was a new bulb that had popped we should try putting another one in. When we put a new bulb in for the second time, it actually worked.  As they say in Portuguese, "Haja luz!" Let there be light!

Well the presentation went really well!  The Spirit was strong and they loved the rocks and especially the part when President Lisonbee surreptitiously turned on the switch to illuminate the rock right on cue.

We ended up having a wonderful discussion about how this story can apply to us, especially as missionaries. We talked about how we understand all too well that no matter how much we prepare to teach people the Gospel, that unless the Lord blesses us with His Spirit there will be no light or life to our lessons.  It is the Spirit that illuminates our efforts and brings light to our investigators. We must do our part, not because we think it will be sufficient, but because our obedience gives us the confidence and faith to ask the Lord to do His part and bless us with His Spirit.  We know that the Lord must touch our rocks in order for them to provide illumination.

I find in the brother of Jared's story many other applications to missionary work and to all of us. Missionaries, like the brother of Jared and his people, have been taken out of the confusion and wickedness of the world and have been led to another place. On a mission it is easy to reach a certain point where we may become comfortable, as did the brother of Jared's people, and figuratively camp out for the space of many months or as in the case of the Jaredites, for four years. The Lord chastised them for not calling upon Him. Elder Holland says that this probably doesn't mean they ceased to say their prayers, but that they ceased to petition the Lord with the intensity they needed to know what the Lord would have them do next in order to leave their comfort zone and accomplish all that the Lord had prepared for them. We talked about how obedience is much more than just not breaking the rules, but true obedience includes a deep desire to seek out what the Lord would have us do and then strive to do it.

We explored many other applications in those amazing verses in those chapters. I wish I had room here to go through all of them.  Few things in life are more thrilling to me than discussing the scriptures with people who love them!

One of the great truths that emerges from the story of the brother of Jared for me is that he learned not only how to solve the problems he had, but he came to know the Lord in the process. In his quest to obtain light the brother of Jared ended up personally encountering He who is the Light and Life of the world.

I only hope that I can do the same.

"And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things." Doctrine and Covenants 88:67

Here are my sixteen little stones and the stone in the middle, that after much effort, and with the help of President Lisonbee, was finally illuminated with light.








16 comments :

  1. This is one of my favorite stories in the Book of Mormon. I love how you brought it to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tennille. So glad you love this story too. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a successful presentation! : ) I love all the principles you pulled from the story. I miss your lessons. You are a gifted teacher and I'm sure your efforts to find the electrical thingy were worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle, you are so kind, I miss your lessons and sharing times too!

      Delete
  3. Excellent! I may steal this entire idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Julee, If I were there I would let you borrow my rock light, but only if you promised not to break it. :) Love you!

      Delete
  4. Bianca, you always have such wonderful insights to the gospel and the scriptures! And you are a fantastic teacher--your missionaries are so lucky to have you and President Lisonbee! Thanks for sharing your insights with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin for your encouraging comment. I feel the same way about you as a teacher! Eu sei que sua filha é uma missionária maravilhosa! Amamos sua familia!

      Delete
  5. Binkie, you were born to teach . . . maybe not to be an electrician . . . but definitely to teach!! :) This was such a beautiful lesson on the light of Christ. It was also an amazing lesson on persistence! You never gave up on that darn lightbulb rock and it turned out to be spectacular! Your comments reminded me so much of my own experience in the MTC. I studied the discussions in Italian over and over. I was kind of disappointed about how simple and rudimentary they were. I thought "the Italians will never buy into this...I need to WOW them!" I thought "when I get to Italy I'll find a bunch of amazing scriptures to back all this stuff up. I'll share them in a way that no one will be able to deny their truth." But I forgot one minor detail. . . when I got to Italy I couldn't speak Italian. I was forced to say the exact same simple, rudimentary words I'd studied over and over in the MTC. What I didn't realize was that as I was saying those words, the Lord would bring His spirit and "illuminate my efforts and bring light to my investigators" just as you said in your post. So as I shared the message in my meek and barely understandable way, the Lord would take over from there and illuminate. It was even better than my original plan of "wow-ing" them with my words!! ha. The spirit makes all the difference. (cue the lighted rock!) I love you my little missionary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tanya, your comments are always better than the original post! What you said is so true. (And not just the part about me being an electrician!) One of the things we like to do at each of our meetings is to have one of the non-english speaking missionaries bear their testimony in english. We do this not just because we want all our missionaries to feel the terror that we english-speaking missionaries live with on a constant basis, nor just to help them learn english, but we do it to serve as a reminder to all of us at how the Spirit can make the simplest testimony into something very powerful. Every time one of them does this, the Spirit is so strong. While some people's vocabulary or talents may be compared to rocks that are a little shinier or prettier than others, without the Spirit they are no more effective than the simple plain rocks that we present as our offering to the Lord. But when He touches them with His Spirit it makes all the difference. How I wish I could have seen you in action as you bore your witness to the Italians. I have no doubt that you were filled with both life and light. Ti voglio benissimo, mia preziosa nipote!

      Delete
  6. I too, love this story from the scriptures. Thank you for sharing parts of your presentation with us! I am always so uplifted after reading your posts. And I love feeling apart of what you are teaching your missionaries! You and Dad are amazing.

    I giggled a little bit when you talked about breaking the thingy over and over. Ha! I can totally imagine you trying to fiddle with it. I hate it when that happens! But I can also imagine Dad being so sweet and patient and knowing that everything will work out. What a cool way to present this story! Can you do presentations like this of all of the stories in the scriptures for me!? :) I am so proud of you two!

    It's very interesting to me that we all have the light of Christ in us. I have always wondered how that could be- with such evil in the world. But you have made it so clear and simple to me! Of course! We must seek out the light of Christ inside of us, and retain it, or it will be lost. However, it is there for us if we let it in. I hope I never lose that light in my life. I don't know what I would do without it! Thank you so much for this great post.

    Love you!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Meggie! When we get home I'd love nothing more than to share all my presentations with you! Ha! Be careful what you ask for! :) I've been thinking about how isn't it interesting that if we turn against the light of Christ within us then we are in a telestial condition, if we retain it then we are among the terrestrial people (the honorable people of the earth) but if we increase it by living by the guidance of the Gift of the Holy Ghost then
    we can qualify to live by a celestial law and condition. It's all about light, isn't it! Love you, my Megs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that. It's all about the light! And I would love for you to show me all of your presentations! Make sure to save all of them! Love you!!

      Delete
  8. We love love love your posts. Inspiring. Enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this so much! I had never thought about the comparison about the air and the light before. Your always teaching me new things. Love you.

    ReplyDelete