Happy 2016 to Everyone! We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.
Since this blog is part of my personal journals I thought I'd better backtrack and share a few glimpses of some of the wonderful visits we had from some of our kids in the past few months during the holiday season. Warning: Lots of photos. Kinda like watching someone else's home movies.
In November Matt and Kaylynne braved the many miles and three flights with their two little ones to see us. We are so glad they did!
Meeting little Venice for the first time! Ah Venice!
Visiting the Turtle Reserve at Projeto Tamar
They went with us to Raul's wedding at our chapel. (He is the wonderful man recently baptized that I have previously written about) We had to leave the wedding early because you see in Brazil weddings often start quite a bit later than they are supposed to. (sometimes several hours later). This one was no different. It was late at night and Stockton was getting pretty full of himself and when the bride came up the aisle Kaylynne was afraid he was going to think she was a Disney princess and run up the aisle yelling "Princess" and ask to talk to her. As it was he was already giving us that look that meant trouble! So as the bride came in they made a beeline for the exit and we left shortly after Shania Twain's "From This Moment" transitioned into "The Spirit of God Like A Fire Is Burning."
![]() |
| Moments like these were the best |
But my all-time favorite moment was getting to put Stockton to bed at night and singing to him. One night as I sang to him he looked at me with such rapture in his eyes I could hardly believe it. ( I promise you that I'm really not THAT good of a singer to illicit the kind of response he gave me.) I felt like we were in a scene of a movie and his part was to look at me as adoringly as possible. My part was to have my heart melt and to just keep singing.
Matt and Kaylynne and family at the Tree of Life
As soon as we began to recover from having our hearts ripped open saying goodbye to them we were so excited to have Adam and Tennille and their kids come for Christmas.
Ever since the first time we had monkeys come to our window I've been dreaming about having the kids come and see them.
Another one of the things we wanted so much for the grandkids to experience while visiting with us was that they would get a glimpse of the joy of missionary work. We were able to take them caroling with us and some of our missionaries in one of the town squares here. During our singing we passed out the "He Is Born" pass-along cards and some of us would talk to people passing by about the Gospel. Savannah was particularly impressed as she observed one elder sharing the Book of Mormon with someone for the very first time. I told her that when we share the Book of Mormon with someone for the first time we become as important to that person as Joseph Smith. He brought forth the Book of Mormon for the first time to the world, but it is we who bring it forth for the first time in the lives of individuals when we share it with them.
| One of our elders "bringing forth" the Book of Mormon for the first time to this young man |
![]() |
| I met this cute couple from Como, Italy who were backpacking through Brazil. I tried to talk to them about the Church but my Italian was horrible! So sad :( |
We also enjoyed showing the kids some of the sites here in Salvador and seeing them experience a new culture since most of them had never been out of the United States.
| The Lighthouse |
![]() |
| The "Gold Church" São Francisco |
![]() |
| Savannah in the Pelourhino |
![]() |
| Our Brazilian Boys |
| Meeting a traditional Bahian woman |
![]() |
| Walking the old streets together |
| Visiting with Papai Noel |
![]() |
| Learning about "capoeira" in the old town Salvador Pelourhino |
They got to discover new creatures -
Iguanas
We were able to attend Church in the ward that meets in an open-air pavilion. (A first for all of them). I sat next to Harry and Tyke and I loved how they gave their best shot singing the words to the hymns in Portuguese. Who knows? They may yet sing hymns in another language as their lives and missions unfold.
But the best part was just being together.
"And it came to pass that I did partake of the fruit of the tree of life and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with great joy; wherefore, I became desirous that my family should partake of it also." (1 Nephi 8:11-12)
Until next time, onward, ever onward!
Bianca

Iguanas
But the best part was just being together.
![]() |
| Asher helping me make cookies |
| Having Sunday Dinner |
![]() |
| Celebrating Christmas |
We have to admit that seeing them go was very hard. I must say that we had been feeling like the scab on the wound formed when Matt's family left had just begun to heal only to have it torn off again with the departure of Adam and his family. (How's that for a poetic image). But it was definitely worth the pain of the goodbyes to have the joy of the hellos.
| Sweet little Norah's face was pretty much what mine looked like too. |
"And it came to pass that I did partake of the fruit of the tree of life and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with great joy; wherefore, I became desirous that my family should partake of it also." (1 Nephi 8:11-12)
Until next time, onward, ever onward!
Bianca














Love seeing all these photos and reliving our time together. Miss you!!
ReplyDeleteWe miss you all so much! So grateful you came.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year to you! Miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I am dying over this line: "we left shortly after Shania Twain's "From This Moment" transitioned into "The Spirit of God Like A Fire Is Burning."" Hahaha! <3
It's funny how somehow it all worked! :))
DeleteHow wonderful to have family visit! I understand about having them leave! It's Sooo hard to say goodbye! Thank you for sharing the pictures!
ReplyDeleteRachael, I keep thinking about how you have to do this hello/goodbye thing all the time! You're my hero!
DeleteThis is one of the best posts because I love seeing how happy you and Dad are when family is there. Although, I wish it was me every time! hehe. It looks like you all had the most amazing time together. It makes my heart happy looking at all of these memories you've created for the kiddies. What a great Christmas season! I also love it because it reminds me of our wonderful time together last Christmas. I'm so proud of you two! Especially because I know how heart wrenching it was to say goodbye to you and Presidenche at the airport. But like you said, it is definitely worth the time spent together. Love you! Happy Happy New Year! Bring it on 2016!!
ReplyDeleteMeggie
Thanks for your sweet words, Meg. Dad and I treasure the time we had with you and Cam here last Christmas. You guys really got us through that first Christmas away! I think about all the good-byes we had in Italy too! I should be good at it by now, but I'm not! Love you too!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe Savannah is almost as tall as Tennille! What a beautiful family!! I feel your pain, Bianca.
ReplyDeleteBonita, It's so great to see you on the comment thread! Thanks! I was thinking the same thing about Savannah when I saw that picture! You are such a good example to me of handling having your family spread out all over the planet! It is nice to have friends that can share in the pain!
ReplyDeleteBianca I loved this so much! I tried to hold back the tears but they kept flowing while reading this. This was such a special time in our lives. Stocky still misses your singing, mine does not compare. I also had somehow forgotten about the wedding and was laughing our loud reading about how you described it so spot on. We got so close to be wedding crashers! Love you guys so much!
ReplyDeleteKaylynne, we really did come close to being wedding crashers! So so glad you had the courage to come! Love and miss you all!
ReplyDelete