My father was an obstetrician. He delivered babies for a living. I remember him saying that no matter how many births he attended the thrill of seeing a new life begin never diminished.
I'm thinking about him as we approach our 20th Transfer Day in the mission. A mission president's life is defined by Transfers. Every six weeks we welcome a new crop of missionaries and we say goodbye to the outgoing ones.
Some days, honestly, I don't even remember what month or date it is, but only where we are in relation to transfers. In a mission your world rotates on the axis of transfers. The sun rises and sets with incoming and outgoing missionaries.
As Transfers approach I often feel the weight of all the things that need to be done to prepare for the welcoming and training of the new missionaries and the activities that we do with the outgoing ones. To be honest I sometimes feel weary about having to do once again all the same things that we've done before. "Didn't we just do this?" I ask.
I'm usually not too excited about having to make the tedious drive to the airport navigating our way through the crazy drivers and traffic. The last time I checked we were going on our 100th trip to the airport. One week we had to go there five times due to visa waiters coming in and other issues with people coming and going.
With 19 Transfers under our belts we pretty much have the routine down. After surviving the traffic and overall craziness of getting to an airport that has been under construction since before we arrived here, we park the car then take a deep breath and try to focus on the names and faces of those incoming missionaries pictured on the paper we have been studying.
Then I take my place, standing dutifully at my post, holding up my little "Bem-vindos Ao Missão Brasil Salvador"sign. I gaze through the large glass doors that separate the arriving passengers from those of us there to greet them. I'm tired. Am I really up to this, I wonder. And then it happens. It never fails.
I see them. I see their faces so full of anticipation, fear, and fatigue. They seem so young pushing their metal handcarts filled with black suitcases. Here they come, these modern day pioneers wearing their new suits and skirts, ready to thrust in their sickles in what will be for many of them a new and very strange land.
As I make eye contact with some of them their faces light up with a smile. And that is when the miracle occurs. My heart is filled with love. Pure and sweet love. It is this love that makes all the difference. It is this love that turns duty into privilege and mundane into miraculous. It is what keeps me going.
I see in their faces the faces of my children and grandchildren and your children and grandchildren. I see in their faces the hopes and prayers of their parents and grandparents, their bishops and young men and young women leaders. I see in their faces evidence of some very hard-fought battles bringing them to this defining point in their lives today.

And so I think of my Dad. I'm sure getting up in the middle of the night to go deliver a baby wasn't much fun. I imagine that going through all the routine prep that being a doctor entails often felt tedious. But he testified that the thrill of seeing a new life begin over and over again never stopped filling him with a sense of awe and wonder. That's what kept him going. This is what made all the grueling days in the classroom and late nights at the hospital worth it.
Maybe my experience isn't so different from my father's. Maybe my calling here is to be a kind of missionary midwife. I get to witness a new life begin every six weeks. I get to witness a kind of rebirth take place in each missionary as they begin the life-changing, soul-stretching, gut-wrenching, and joy-inducing experience of being a missionary. I get to witness potential become power and weakness become strength as these young men and women enter the field often with fear and uncertainty and leave with courage and conviction.
It isn't easy. But neither is being born. Nothing worthwhile ever is.
Onward, ever onward.



I love this! Made me tear up!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Tennille. I teared up a bit while writing it too.
DeleteMETAL HANDCARTS!!!! Bianca, I save your posts until I know I'll have a peaceful moment to read uninterrupted. This is so sweet. I'm going to thank you on behalf of the 3 mission presidents' wives who welcomed my children into their missions. They were so good to my kids. So Thank you and THANK YOU! <3 Sally
ReplyDeleteThanks Sally for your sweet comment. Knowing what I know now I wish I had prayed more for my kids' mission presidents. :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOh mama! I am sitting here at Bonny Nails getting them done with Jen and Vannie and I'm literally tearing up trying to hide it from everyone around! As funny as it is to read this while hearing the Asians speak back and forth to each other in the salon, this touched my heart! What a well written, Well put, and sweet post. Your precious dad is with you I'm sure through this mission. How sweet to compare your mission with his mission in his life. And both are such miracles. It makes me cry thinking of those young, brave and faithful missionaries coming off of the plane to enter this adventure of giving their lives to the Lord. Talk about burning in the bosom! After just giving birth I have such a respect and sort of love for my doctor who got her here safe and into my arms. He brought such a comfort to us and made us feel confident and safe through the whole "mission" of my pregnancy and delivery. I'm sure the missionaries feel just that way about you and Dad.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Meg
Oh Megs, Bonny Nails! Can't wait to go there with you and Jenna again! Thanks for these beautiful thoughts about my Dad (your grandfather) and your feelings about having just become a mom. I know you have discovered a new dimension to the transformative power of love now that you are a mom. This kind of love is a powerful thing. Probably THE most powerful thing. It is truly the "it" in the "It never fails" of this post. It is Charity. It is the love that Dad and I have for you and all of our children and grandchildren. Thanks so much for sharing your heart here. Love, Mama
DeleteThis is just the post I needed to read before we begin the tasks of getting back to school and have days that seem to repeat the same routine over and over and over again! I am going to think of what you said about "it's love that turns duty into privilege and mundane into miraculous." Brilliant! (I may just post that over the piano as I sit with my kiddos to practice every day). Thank you!! Love, Michelle Beus : )
ReplyDeleteMichelle, Thank you so much for your insights in applying this post to a mom's life. Is there any place that the miraculous and the mundane intersect more than in motherhood! Is there anything that requires more faith, hope and charity than our kids' piano lessons! I think not. You've always been a great example of keeping that bigger picture in mind and heart while in the throes of raising young children! Have a great year! Love, Bianca
DeleteLove this! I can't read it without tearing up, and feeling love and appreciation for the mission presidents and their wives who have loved my children. And I am praying this last couple will, too. Thank you for your inspired insights.
ReplyDeleteBonita, thanks so much for sharing this journey with us and for making a comment here! I have no doubt all your children's mission presidents were so grateful to receive and care for missionaries like them. And I'm certain this next one will feel the same. ❤️
ReplyDeleteOh Bianca,Your words are especially meaningful to me as we just welcomed David home from Finland one month ago today. I love and pray for you and all mission presidents and their wives. If you don't mind I would love to share this post with President and Sister Watson in Finland.
ReplyDeleteOrva, of course I'd be honored to have you share it with the Watsons. We love them! We were in the same group in the MTC as them so I'm sure they can relate. It seems like yesterday we were talking about connecting David with them! I'm sure they loved having David in their mission so much. It is missionaries like him that keep us going!
Delete"YOU never fail" at writing the perfect post, complete with wisdom, humor and above all, love! I already copied and pasted a few of my favorite quotes so I can read them often. They will get me through until your next post! I connected with the "life-changing, gut-wrenching, soul searching" part of the mission because I've been there. But to experience it from the "missionary midwife's" perspective was miraculous! I love you Binkie and I will always remember that nothing worthwhile is ever easy. Baci ❤️
ReplyDeleteAnd you never fail, Tanya, to make such precious comments that I treasure. I remember well that you had "gut-wrenching" experiences on your mission. Your mom and I had to send a huge package to try and help with that. :) Thanks so much for your love. Ti voglio benissimo! Sempre Famiglia! Good luck with school starting! Mama Mia where does the time go!
ReplyDelete