A few weeks ago we spoke at what seemed to be a pretty
normal Stake Conference here in Brazil. It was a great meeting and the Spirit was strong, but nothing seemed very different from the
many other Stake Conferences we have attended here, until we started to leave.
As we were walking down the aisle to go out the chapel door
I spotted an old woman still sitting in her bench. She was alone. Her dark skin
and white hair made for a dramatic contrast. Her lovely purple-flowered dress
and pearl necklace reflected the importance she placed on being at this
meeting. From the tilt of her mouth and her head I could tell that she suffered
from some sort of palsy. Her arm movements were shaky and erratic, but I could see that she was motioning for me to come over to her.
I held out my hand to shake hers. She grabbed both of my hands with her hands and then proceeded to firmly place them on her head. She then positioned me behind her. She said something in Portuguese that I didn’t understand, but it was apparent that she wanted me to give her a blessing. She continued to secure my hands upon her head with the firm yet gentle touch of her hands.
Her soft white hair felt like worn wool beneath my hands.
Strangely enough I didn’t feel awkward or embarrassed even though there were
still people in the chapel. What I remember most is the feeling of
great love that our Father in Heaven has for this woman. It was as if by laying
my hands on her head a conduit was opened between heaven and earth. A channel
of Charity. Um canal de caridade. A link of Divine Love was forged.
I have no idea how long I stood there in silence like that. I imagine it was only a few seconds. At some
point I broke the connection and released my hands from her head and knelt down
beside her so that I could look into the well of her deep dark eyes. I told her
that God loved her and that I was grateful for her faith. I expressed my love
and wished her the best of God’s blessings. She smiled at me and thanked me, then I hugged her and we left.
On the way home I asked David if this Divine Love is what men feel when
they lay their hands on someone’s head to give them a blessing. He said that often it is. I found myself grateful that righteous men can act as a connection between
heaven and earth in this manner and that they can transmit the love that our Father
has for His individual children in this way. I was struck by how individual and personal the experience felt.
I also thought about how we women are tactile creatures. We don’t
have to look hard to find opportunities for physical contact. Touching seems to
be in our DNA. Whether we are soothing a fevered brow or holding a baby against
our breast we become very familiar with human contact. As young girls we learn
early the connection between the Spirit and the Flesh. Physical and Spiritual element are but two sides of the coin in the currency with which women live their lives.
I am grateful that my sons, my grandsons, and my husband
have the opportunity to experience the Divine connection that comes through the power of the Priesthood they hold. Through the laying on of hands for the purpose of ministering to others they come to better understand and communicate
the great love the Lord has for all His children.
I will always remember that day when I felt this love for a sweet old woman wearing her best pearls and a purple-flowered dress who wanted me to give her a blessing after a Stake
Conference in Brazil.

That gave me chills! What an amazing experience that must have been.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing experience!! This totally had me in tears. Thanks for sharing with us. I am so grateful for the Priesthood as well as the worthy men in our lives to exercise it! I can't help but think of the Temple when I read this! :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. It is so evident the love you have for the people in Brazil. Great reminder of the power and blessing of the Priesthood! Love, Michelle Beus : )
ReplyDeleteAnother unforgettable mission moment! These are the memories you will carry with you for the rest of your life. What a special love you have shared with the people of Brazil. I love you Binkie!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete