
One of the highlights in the life of a Mission President is Transfer day! Nothing's more exciting than welcoming new missionaries and nothing is more rewarding than spending time reflecting with the outgoing missionaries on their mission experience and then talking with them about their future. I love seeing the humility in the faces of the new ones. They are full of excitement mixed with fear and anticipation. They are very teachable in this condition. But I have to say I love even more having dinner and visiting with the ones before they go home. While you can still detect some uncertainty in them about their future they are now possessed with a humble confidence and gratitude for the blessings of having served with all their hearts. In many ways, I can't help but compare the mission experience to our lives here on earth. How wonderful it will be, after having completed our mission here on earth to sup with the Master and reflect on the great blessing we have had to serve Him for the time allotted to us here on earth.
Here's some highlights of our first Transfer Day. The incoming missionaries come to our home and they are given some training and orientation and then they are matched up with their trainer. It is a fun moment when the trainer's are told who their new "son" or "daughter" will be. I love seeing how warmly the trainer welcomes the new missionary. This is the first group of missionaries that will be "ours" for their entire missions. We had twelve come in and twelve leave for our first Transfer.
 |
| A Trainer welcoming his new "son". |
 |
| Dinner at our home with the outgoing missionaries. Such a special time. |
 |
We take the outgoing missionaries to the Pelourhino (Old Town Square) to do some last-minute souvenir shopping before going home.
|
I imagine this time is filled with lots of mixed emotions!! Frozen w/ the sisters! Fun!
ReplyDeleteThe tie skirt: I made one years ago... I think it's still in Utah. Fun to see one on a missionary!
So awesome. Mark and I had the privelage to escort one of our sister missionaries from Park City to the MTC last week so she could say good-bye to her younger brother who was leaving the next day out to the mission field. She was leaving to go back home the next day also as she had served her time. As we sat across the foyer in the MTC and watched the interaction of sister and brother, was an experience I'll never forget. The light coming from those two was very tangible and noticeable that it brought tears to my eyes and a another confirmation that this truly is the Lords work ! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteLove, Terri
@ bella utahan With the missionaries that are going home we have the elders cut one of their old ties and the sisters a piece of an old skirt then they give it to me to keep. You are going to have to show me something clever to do with all of them! I figured you would have made one of those tie skirts. You are so creative!
ReplyDeleteTerri, That's wonderful that you were able to witness such a special exchange! Love it! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteThat photo of dad and the elders on the street looks like a fake back drop! So cool! I am sure it is so rewarding (and hard at the same time) to witness your missionaries finish their work out there and get ready to go home and move onto the next chapter in their lives. I can only imagine what it will be and feel like when we finish our mission here on earth and get to go home to our Heavenly Father. Can it be soon?! I love how you even decorate your apartment for them. You know I appreciate that. :) You are the best mission Mom!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Meg
If I was headed to the Brazil Salvador mission and had any doubts, they would all vanish the moment I got off the plane and saw You holding the "Welcome to the Brazil Salvador Mission" sign. That is the most precious picture, and I'm sure all those nervous missionaries full of uncertainty know, the minute they see you , that they made the right decision to serve a mission. I love how you make it so special both for those coming and going. I only wish I could join you and cuddle on the couch and watch frozen, "...some people are worth melting for!" Quote from Olaf.
ReplyDelete