Access Code
Sorry, code is incorrect

Security Code - Don't Remove

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Puppets, Prophets, and Presidents of Branches




I was glad I brought some of my puppets with me from Utah to Brazil.  I wrote a skit about missionaries keeping their apartments clean and one of the Assistants did a great job helping me present it at our Mission Council Meeting to all the Zone Leaders and Sister Trainers in the mission.   Above is pictured Officer Sargento Limpador the Enforcer of Domicile Cleanliness of Missionary Apartments here in the Salvador, Brazil Mission. It was good to laugh a little about a subject that usually isn't very fun to talk about! 

We had such a great time watching General Conference with some of our missionaries in a room at the Church where it was in English.  When they announced that the Brazilian speaker, Elder Godoy would speak in Portuguese we could hear a cheer from the Brazilians watching in the chapel.  We quickly changed the channel on our TV to hear it in Portuguese.  
As Elder Godoy and others spoke in their native languages I couldn't help but think of Moroni making the point to tell us that when the Savior appeared to him He spoke to him "in his own language."  Until you've lived in a place surrounded by people that don't speak your language it's hard to appreciate how wonderful it is to hear the word of God in your native tongue.  I heard a Book of Mormon scholar say that by the time Moroni lived that there would have been so many different dialects of language being spoken by so many different groups of the people of his time. It isn't hard for me to imagine why Moroni took the effort to tell us that the Lord spoke to him "in his own language." (Ether 12: 39)
Pictured above are three of our wonderful outgoing elders getting ready to go home at the airport.    The one in the middle had only been a member for a year when he came on his mission.  None of his family are members and he asked President Lisonbee for advice on how to tell his mom about him having garments since she has never seen them because he went to the Temple for the first time while in the MTC (CTM in Brazil).  He was an outstanding missionary and such an impressive young man as are all three of these men. We hated to lose them.

We drove for about 12 hours to some more of the branches in our mission.  We have now made it to all seven of them at least once.  Some are in some pretty rural areas as you can see from the mules on the road. 

We are so grateful for faithful men and women who lead the church in these small branches.  Above is the young Branch President in the Paulo Alfonso Branch in our mission.

The young woman with the black belt to the left of me joined the Church about a year ago.  She does a great job teaching the Gospel Principles Class in the branch. She brought her mother (left of her) and her two sisters (in purple and turquoise shirts) into the Church also.
This precious little boy became my "buddy" in the last branch we visited.  At first I thought he had eyelash extensions! Such great eyes! 

This cart was waiting outside our chapel after Church in one of the branches

Our drive home from visiting the branches was long and slow on two-laned roads.  But the scenery was nice and the sunset golden. We listened to previous conference talks and we actually enjoyed the ride.  I guess that's important, isn't it?  Like this fellow pictured below - we need to enjoy the ride. 



Until next week. Até logo. 


4 comments :

  1. It's happening again! I remember when you were serving your mission in Italy, every time I saw a picture of you, you looked even more radiant and beautiful than the previous photo. I attributed it to the healing Mediterranean air, but now I'm pretty sure that you are glowing because of the selfless service, sacrifice and love that you provide to so many on a daily basis. The results are way better than micro-derm abrasion!! Ha! I thought it was so cool to hear so many speak in their native tongue at conference. Sometimes I think that when Moroni talked about the Lord speaking to us in "our own language" he wasn't necessarily even talking about English or Portuguese. That perhaps he was referring to the unique way that each of us discerns the word of God. Some of us hear His words though different emotions, some through scripture study, others hear Him through quiet meditation. The most important thing is that He speaks to us in a way we understand. Thank you for another inspiring post (including a mule.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, I love your insight about the language of the Spirit! I hadn't even thought of that. Such a good reminder to have "ears to hear and hearts that understand!" I also love what you said about how personal and unique to us that communication between the Lord and us can be. Thank you so much for sharing this. As for my appearance, I think you may not have "eyes to see" all my wrinkles and aging! But thank you! Ti voglio benissimo!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe the mules in the road and the guy enjoying the ride! So awesome! You and Dad look so great in the photos. I'm so proud of you. I almost cried when Elder Godoy stood up to speak at conference and you told me everyone cheered in the church. That is so sweet, and so cool that they had a portuguese speaker this year! I liked how they changed it up a bit this year with the foreign speakers and the voice overs. That little boy is so precious! And it does look like he has eyelash extensions ha! Keep the photos comin'! I live for these! Love you so much!

    Meg xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could imagine everyone cheering when the Portugese language was announced! Man I wish we could've heard it, instead of the English voiceover. I would prefer to hear it and read subtitles.

    ReplyDelete