Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise Thy goodness, Lord, above. (Each LifeThat Touches Ours For Good)
Our daughter Jenna surprised me (David knew) with a visit right before my birthday! I was told we were at the airport to pick up a visa waiter missionary who got her visa. This often happens so I didn't think anything of it until I saw that the "missionary" we were picking up happened to look just like Jenna! What an amazing surprise! I had no idea that she had been in Brazil for work and decided to come and see us too!
She spent five wonderful days with us. She was here for the biggest transfer day we have ever had with 25 new missionaries arriving. We've started bringing all the missionaries in that are being transferred to help welcome the new missionaries so it was the first time we had held Transfers at the Institute Building instead of our home and their were a lot of moving parts to it all. Over half of our mission was there. She was such a good sport and got right in and became an honorary member of the Salvador Brazil Mission. She even happened to be on the same flight home as our outgoing American missionaries and she helped shepherd them through connecting and missed flights! What a blessing it was to have her here for them and for us!
![]() |
| We took Jenna to my favorite place here. It's a 100 year old Ficus tree. I call it the tree of Life. "A Árvore da Vida!" |
We've been here long enough now that it is also very hard to see some of these missionaries leave us. It was also hard to say good bye to Elder Hollingsworth who was the Assistant when we first arrived. It was time for him to go home too. I received an email from his mother with a picture of him at the airport in San Diego telling me he had arrived home safely. I smiled as I thought about how the tables had turned. I had just emailed the parents of all the newly arrived missionaries to let them know that their son or daughter had arrived here safely, and now this mother was doing the same for me regarding her returning missionary. We moms take care of each other don't we?
We also had the privilege of having some great friends visit us.
![]() |
| Anderson and Carlos Destro (Who meant so much to us on our mission to Italy and who are from Brazil) and Catherine Larsen, our dear friend from work. |
10 people from Portugal and other parts of Brazil who are distributors with 4Life that we have never met came to our Stake Conference. They had been in São Paulo for a meeting. They stayed for all of Stake Conference raised their hands for the sustainings! It's been a week of many surprise visitors!
As hard as the "goodbyes" were I am so thankful for the "hellos". I guess in this life we cannot have one without the other.
There was a hole in our hearts after everyone had left. We came home and even the monkeys were no where to be found. I tried putting bananas out but they didn't show up. But this morning David came into the bedroom as I was waking up and said, "Your little friends are back". They had returned, reminding me that good friends are never gone for long.
We welcome with open arms any of you who want to come see us too!
Until next time. Até logo






So excited that Jenna got to visit you, but so jealous as well! And I love that distributors came to stake conference!
ReplyDeleteJenna is so beautiful! What a wonderful birthday present for you.
ReplyDeleteI tried to fit in Jenna's luggage (like the Asian acrobat guy on Ocean's Eleven!) but couldn't pull it off! It's probably a good thing I didn't come, because I don't think I would have been able to say goodbye again. I'd just hang out with the monkeys on the tree outside your window for the rest of your mission! Knowing Jenna was there for your birthday was almost as good as being there myself! What great memories! Love you!
ReplyDeleteBeing there was like a dream! I miss waking up to the weird ca caw of the mysterious bird at 4 am. I miss eating bit o honeys and watching frozen in Portuguese while eating burnt popcorn. I miss dad driving us around the city going in circles because we kept missing the turns. I miss the church ladies petting my hair and face like a cat saying things in portgugeses. I miss the smell of your perfume and dad walking around in his "thongs". Those few days with you and being apart of all the action is a treasure to me! Being there helped ease the pain of missing you because now I can picture you there and see where you are and who you talk about And I know that you are okay, and loved and taken care of by all of those precious people I met. I will be back soon, I promise my little chickachee! Save some Pipoca for me!
ReplyDeleteJenna, Your comment brings on a flood of tears! Having you here was like a dream for us too - a dream we never wanted to wake up from! And if that stupid bird didn't keep waking us up maybe we could keep dreaming! The ladies at church don't think I'm nearly as cool without you! Thank you again for coming and for all the love you shared with us and the people here. We all miss you more than the Brazilians missed making those goals against the German Soccer team in the World Cup! Amamos você!
DeleteThis is one of my favorite posts yet. The pics made me cry! It made me so happy to see you and Jen together there! I'm sure it was the best surprise ever! You look so happy. That is awesome that distributors showed up to church!! I can't even wait to fed those little monkey nuggets in person! Until Christmas!! Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteMeg