Access Code
Sorry, code is incorrect

Security Code - Don't Remove

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Pumpkin Pie, Humble Pie

The morning of Thanksgiving I woke up feeling less than grateful.  I was tired from having just flown in the night before from visiting branches in our mission and I knew that the next day we would fly out again to the nethermost parts of our mission to do interviews and visit more branches. I hate to fly. And I was missing being with my family on my favorite holiday. I was also bummed about missing my niece perform with David Archuleta and being left out of all the fun of the Celebration of Christ Interfaith Concert. I was grouchy and started out my Thanksgiving Day festivities with a pretty good sized pity party.

Suddenly I saw my face on the man that was in the story President Uchtdorf told who kept wanting more bread.  It was me!  My face was on the body of that fat ungrateful man.  (Although President Uchtdorf didn't say the man was fat, he would have had to have been given all the bread he kept eating.) I was letting the things that I didn't have right then, blind me to the feast of blessings that I did have. I needed to repent.

I thought about my nephew, Christian, serving his mission right now and being away from his family for his first Thanksgiving in the mission field.  Thinking of him and his wonderful attitude inspired me to remember that it is always a great privilege to do anything that might be hard for us if we do it for the Lord.

I decided I'd better look at the abundance of blessings I had right within my reach. In doing so, I discovered the banquet being placed before me even though I was refusing to savor the many dishes  offered me, insisting on being served only the ones I could not have.

Here is a sampling of blessings I feasted on from my own personal menu this past week that testifies that truly "He doth fill the hungry with good things." (Luke 1:53)

When I served the office elders our Thanksgiving dinner, and I saw the American elders almost weep with joy over tasting the familiar delights of a traditional Thanksgiving meal ( and a very simple one, at that) it brought me great joy and filled the hole in my heart.


Having the elders be thrilled over every little detail of the meal also made me happy. They even thought the lame little turkey cupcakes I made were wonderful! And they acted like they loved my Lincoln speech.

Seeing the Brazilian elders delight in tasting pumpkin pie for the first time and act out the First Thanksgiving.

Having a husband who I knew was also feeling the pangs of being away from home only he didn't feel sorry for himself and was still so loving and kind.

Saturday evening we were out in a very hot and dusty town doing a fireside for a branch.  We were sitting there in a small room sweating and waiting for the meeting to begin and I was tempted to once again think about how I'd rather have been in Utah watching the concert, when one of my precious young friends in the branch, who I had only met once before on our first visit there, ran up and threw his arms around me. And then I saw this bookmark on the floor beside my chair.  I hardly ever see anything written in English here.  I think it was a message meant for me in spite of the awkward translation.

Feeling the faith and love of these young people in this branch touches my heart. Here are two of the valiant YM serving faithfully in this tiny branch. They are preparing to serve missions.

Hearing these YM and YW sing their hearts out in a choir number in Sacrament meeting.


Having the opportunity to bear testimony of the Restored Gospel and the Book of Mormon to this investigator who came to Church for the first time at one of the branches we were at.

Seeing Valdeci, the man we saw get baptized several months ago when we first visited his branch, progressing and growing stronger in faith and testimony. Here he is as I pictured him on this blog back in August and pictured now. Is it just me, or can you tell a difference in his face from then and now!  Then
Now

Eating at the home of this good Branch President and his family on Sunday.  He is a successful surgeon and helps shoulder the needs of those in his branch both temporally and spiritually.

And then I heard that the Celebration Of Christ Concert was a spectacular hit!  I was so grateful for that blessing and even though I wasn't able to be there I am so thankful for all of you who participated and attended.

So, these are just a sampling of the many blessings I experienced this week.  Does it mean these things made me stop missing all of you at home and what was going on there?  No. But it does tell me that the Lord won't leave us hungry. He can fill the hole in our hearts even if it isn't with the specific thing we think we are needing. Even when we don't get fed exactly the dish we are yearning for, we will be nourished nonetheless if we open our hearts in gratitude to Him and to the many different ways He is able to bless us to feel His love.

As President Uchtdorf said."Gratitude to our Father in Heaven broadens our perceptions and clears our vision. It inspires humility and fosters empathy toward our fellowmen...It allows our souls to expand...

I am grateful for the expansion process that had to take place in my own soul this past week. And for the vision correction I needed. I am grateful for both the Pumpkin pie and the Humble pie that I needed to be served.

I have been greatly fed an abundance of blessings throughout my life.  I have feasted upon the bread of life. I am grateful to have an opportunity to be part of the work of offering that sweet bread now to the good people here in Brazil.














14 comments :

  1. What a good reminder to look for the blessing no matter our circumstances. We are so blessed! And lucky! Things with Lewis' job have been rough lately and it has caused lots of stress. Thanksgivong seems to come around at the right time and reminds me to count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JJ, Your faith is an inspiration to me. You could so easily dwell on what you feel was taken from you at this time of year instead of what you have been given. Thank you for your wonderful example! Love you!

      Delete
  2. What a feast of blessings! I loved this post! When you started talking about a fat, ungrateful man, I thought it was a subliminal message to me to be more thankful and less "full!" ha. I really was full this weekend, but not from turkey and yams, I was full from the joy in praising our Saviors birth and life. My soul was overflowing with love and joy as I sat in awe at the "Celebration of Christ" concert and listened to each faith praise His holy name in their own individual way. My joy was truly full! He is our light. It is His light that brought a change to Valdeci's face. Now I know that technically you were in Brazil sitting in a hot, dusty town doing a fireside during the "Celebration of Christ" concert, but as I remember it, you were sitting next to me jammin as the baptist choir blew the roof off the Capitol Theater. You gave a standing ovation when Taryn finished her song with David Archuleta and Kevin. And you loved the snow that fell at the end, as they sang the song "Believe." At least that's how I remember it! :) I love you so, and if I don't mind sayin... those are the best darn tootin turkey cupcakes I ever did see! Sempre Famiglia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, thank you for your sweet words and beautiful testimony. During the concert I kept thinking of your sweet Mom and how she was there with you and Taryn too. Ti voglio bene, Sempre!

      Delete
  3. I'm so grateful for you mama! I miss you but am so proud to be your daughter! Seeing first hand the incredible sacrifices you and dad are making humbles me to my bones, but I know those precious people of Salvador will forever remember you and your love is just what those people need right now. Love you to the moon and back a Brasilian times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, thank you for your sweet words. We will try to live up to them. Dad and I will never ever forget the great blessing of having you here with us. We will forever be grateful for that precious time we had together. Ti voglio bene a brazilian times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to read and reread this post when I have a little pity party for myself. What great thoughts and insights into all our blessings!! Thank you, Bianca, for your example. I am pleased you had a happy Thanksgiving after all. : ) XO Michelle Beus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. You are so kind to comment. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving too! Hugs to all your family.

      Delete
  6. Somehow I find myself wiping my tears in every post! It breaks my heart to think of you homesick. However, You are the strongest person I know! I mean that. Despite whatever you are going through out there in Brazil, I come to you daily with my complaints and concerns about each day and you are always putting things into perspective. I am beyond proud of you. We were thinking of you all day Thanksgiving. But I could feel you there with me! Maybe that's just because I am texting you every 5 minutes. :) The photo of dad you posted made me cry. He had such s light in his eyes. I'm sure he is exhausted at all times but yet he is still glowing. He is such a good man! And I can definitely see a difference in Valdeci's eyes!! No doubt. He has the light of Christ! All I could think of during the concert was you. Especially when David Archuleta sang Believe! That's one of your favorites! You're amazing mama. We are praying and routing for you every day. I can't wait to be with you so soon!

    Ti Voglio Bene!!!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS, I am laughing and crying at the same time about the bookmark! Sweetest thing ever! Also, I absolutely love the cupcakes! Reminds me of dirt and worms! Ha! You are the best, mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Worms and dirt! My specialty! How many times did I haul those to the school! I remember the first time I heard that Believe song was when we saw the Polar Exoress for the first time in the theatre and Rita was there in a wheelchair because she was so sick by that time. She loved it so much. We talked about it so much for days after. I have no doubt she was thrilled with the concert too! Thanks for your sweet words, Meggie. Love you!

      Delete
  8. Bianca I need to be better at posting comments. Truthfully I haven't been able to figure out how to post comments on any blogs for a while, I need Micah to help me:) I understood both of your feelings, feeling sad for being away then quickly realizing the blessings you did have. The faith you both have to do what you are doing is an amazing example. I know it's so hard to be away from your kids and grandkids, but I keep thinking that your example being away right now is the best kind of example I think you both could even be to them. When Eleni has to do something hard in life, something hard but something right, I can tell her about your sacrafice. Love you so much, I am so proud of you,

    Yes that picture of that man was amazing, you could see the light of Christ in his eyes. I think you and Dave look different too, you both look great and have a wonderful light in your eyes (you always did but even more so now:) )

    Love you!

    xoxo Carly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and I need to tell you how much I love your cupcakes! Adorable!!

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carly, You are so sweet to take the time to make a comment. Don't every worry about not doing that! What you said about being an example to Eleni brings me great comfort. There's two things in life that I want my grandchildren to know more than anything about their grandparents. One is how much we love them and the other is that their grandparents had a testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. If this mission can help them know either one of those things then it makes it easier being away from them. Thank you!
    And thanks for the comment on the cupcakes. They were seriously not "Carly" worthy at all!

    ReplyDelete