Access Code
Sorry, code is incorrect

Security Code - Don't Remove

Friday, September 18, 2015

"Do You Believe In Miracles?"

A while ago I told you about Raoul.  He is one of our wonderful converts.



I told you about how hard he worked on giving his first talk in Sacrament meeting about the Savior.

Last week Raoul got to baptize his father, Carlos.
When Carlos first heard about Raoul's decision to join the Church he wanted nothing to do with it.  He did not believe in God. His life had been riddled with the pain of some really bad choices and circumstances. He refused to talk with our missionaries. He was bitter and despondent about his life.

As time went on and he observed the change in his son he became curious. He could not understand the happiness he saw in Raoul knowing of all his previous problems. He decided he had to know more about what his son had done. Carlos was taught the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and he gained his own testimony.

When President Lisonbee was visiting with him he asked him if he had read the Book of Mormon.  He said, "I have not read all of it yet, but I have read enough to pray about it and know that it is true.  For the first time in my entire life I know that a prayer of mine has been answered."

As President Lisonbee continued talking to him he discovered that Carlos was sad, he even began to cry about not being able to go to the Temple for a year because he had such a strong desire to attend the Temple as soon as possible. David explained to him that he did not have to wait a year to go to the Temple to perform baptisms for the dead. Carlos was filled with joy at this news and he is making  plans to travel to the Recife Temple with his son, Raoul as soon as possible.

Carlos, like his son Raoul, have now both experienced the miracle of that mighty change of heart that can only come through the doctrine of Christ. By exercising faith in Jesus Christ unto repentance and receiving His Spirit through Baptism and the reception of the Holy Ghost, they both have become new creatures in Christ. They have experienced the miracle of that mighty change of heart spoken of in the scriptures.


"Sometimes we think of miracles as having to do with the healing of the body, but an even greater miracle is a mighty change of heart by a son or daughter of God. (Mosiah 5:2) A change of heart, including new attitudes, priorities, and desires, is greater and more important than any miracle involving the body." (Dallin H. Oaks, Miracles, June 2001 Ensign)

David and I are so grateful to be part of the witnessing of miracles.

Until next time -
Onward, ever onward.

I just watched the link that Sally posted in the comment section of this post and it's wonderful!  I had not heard this song before. I love how it is all done by children.  Thanks, Sally!






13 comments :

  1. What a wonderful example of the importance of the temple. We should all be so anxious to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It's true, the biggest miracles happen in our hearts, like the children's song says: "of all his miracles, the most incredible is the miracle that rescues me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ2djzQ9J64 <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, This is wonderful! I had not heard this song. I'm going to suggest watching it in my post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quote from Elder Oaks - what a neat perspective of miracles. The story of Raoul and Carlos is awesome. Our primary is currently learning the song "The Miracle" that you added to your post. Thank you for sharing the perfect example of what the song teaches us about miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful about our Primary learning this song. I can only imagine how sweet they sound. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful story. Everyone in the picture looks so happy. We have 2 girls in our primary who are singing this song in our primary program as a duet. It is such a precious song. I'm so happy for Raoul and his son!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! The doctrine of Christ taught clearly and powerfully. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me cry! Oh, how I love the temple so much. You know, it's hard sometimes to watch people you love not feel the happiness tha comes from the gospel and going to the temple. It's easy to give up on them and say they are a "lost cause" or "too far gone".. But this is a perfect example of how Christs Atonement works and can work on anyone no matter what. It's amazing to see the change of heart in his dad! This gives me strength and faith to do better in believing in others and also, to take better advantage of the amazing blessings of being born in this gospel and having a temple 7 minutes away. What a sweet family. Makes my heart happy to see Raoul with his precious dad as members of the church.

    Love you! Thanks, Mama.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, Thank you for your sweet testimony of the temple. What a blessing that you and Cam get to be ordinance workers there. This is such a unique opportunity in this phase of your life to get to do that.Dad and I miss being able to go to the temple here. That is one thing I hope we won't take for granted when we get home. The people here sacrifice so much to make their regular temple caravan trips every few months. I also love what you said about needing to believe in others. It reminds me of P. Monson's talk about seeing others as they may become. Sometimes we need that same kind of vision to also see ourselves as we may become through relying on the atonement of Jesus Christ. Thanks you for sharing your testimony with me. Love you!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how he was so excited to go to the temple that it hurt and made him cry, then he realized he didn't have to wait... Great conversion story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a sweet story. I love how anxious he was to go to the temple. I remember when we lived in Malaysia that was something really hard for me...not being able to go to a temple. I just craved it so much and often cried about it too. When we came home it was the first thing I wanted to do. Now I don't get there as often as I want with two kids but next time I'm making excuses I'm going to think of this sweet mans story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete