The other night David and I went with the elders to visit a recent convert and his family. I'm always a little uneasy about what conditions I will find in these homes. Walking through the dimly lit passages between the houses often feels a little like I would imagine what walking through a neighborhood in biblical times might have felt like with stone houses that almost feel like caves, only here they are made of cinder-block or cement.
![]() |
| A favela in our Ward |
The Elders introduced us to Fabio, the father of the family, and told us the story of finding him and teaching him the Gospel. When I asked Fabio why he chose to be baptized he said, "Because I read the Book of Mormon and I did what it asks and prayed about it and I got an answer that it was true." As he said this I could see a copy of the Book of Mormon placed front and center on a box being used as a coffee table in the middle of the room.
We met his wife, Jucimara, who took much longer to decide to be baptized. She said that she already had a church when the elders taught Fabio and that she needed to be certain for herself and not just get baptized because her husband did it. As we spoke about baptism, little Alessandra expressed her excitement at being baptized one day. She continued to twirl and skip and dance around the room as if all the happiness within that little body could not be contained. Her activity seemed different to me than just the excess energy one sees in children in confined spaces. There wasn't anything restless or hyper about it. It was pure joy made visible through her exultant movement.
After we shared a short message Alessandra volunteered to sing "I Am A Child of God" for us. I was amazed that she would already know all the words and music to that song after only being a member for a very short time. It almost seemed as if she had always known it. And then we all sang Nearer My God To Thee. "Mais Perto Quero Estar."
![]() |
| Fabio and Alessandra |
![]() |
| Their family with Elder Rotela and Elder J. Ward |
I know that long after I return home to Utah there will be many things I will forget about our experiences here. But I doubt that I will soon forget the feeling I had while singing the words to this hymn, gathered with this precious family in a cinder-block house where a Book of Mormon was placed on a box in the middle of the room where there was a little girl dancing who had a smile as bright as a flower in the favela.
"Though like a wanderer, the sun goes down, Darkness be over me, my rest a stone.
Yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God to Thee. Nearer, to Thee.
Or if, on joyful wing cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I fly,
Still all my song shall be nearer, my God to Thee.
Nearer, my God to Thee, nearer to Thee!"
Until next time - Onward, ever onward.





Love This!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story! And I love the pics of the little girl. :)
ReplyDeleteYour posts always lift and inspire me! We, who have so much, don't appreciate that the spirit this man felt as he read the Book of Mormon is worth more than all material possessions. Thanks for your service!
ReplyDeleteYou have a way with words bink. my eyes teared up while reading this. I feel like I have forgotten so many things from Malaysia already but there are those special moments that I will hold onto forever. While reading this all those memories just flowed back to me. Thank you for sharing. Love you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a precious story. You have such a gift of finding beauty in the simple things in life. I felt Alessandra's joy as if I was there with you. Thank you for always uplifting and inspiring me! I love you!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! "Still all my song shall be nearer, my God to Thee.
ReplyDeleteNearer, my God to Thee, nearer to Thee!"
I love this story!! Tanya is so right, you really do have a gift of finding the beauty in the simple things (even in the hard things) in life. You are amazing. These people are amazing! And that is the coolest photo of favela I've ever seen!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Meggie
As always. Inspiring. Wonderfully written.
ReplyDelete