Access Code
Sorry, code is incorrect

Security Code - Don't Remove

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Oil In Our Lamps




I would like to share with you a story about two people I know. Both of them lost their wives to cancer.

The first person is a friend. He is a man who has not been active in the church for many years. He was not sure if he even believed in God. He said that at the moment his wife was dying that he hoped that he would have some kind of sign or proof that there really was a god, but he said that in that moment all he felt was darkness and despair.

The second man is my brother in law. He is married to my sister. He has been a faithful priesthood holder for many years. I was with him at the moment of my sister’s passing. It was a very difficult time for us. But there was no darkness nor despair, there was only light. 

I watched him offer a beautiful prayer at my sister's bedside after she passed away, thanking the Lord for her life. I saw the strength of his priesthood shine brightly in that difficult moment, bringing light and hope into the room.  Was it painful and sad? Absolutely, but it was also a sacred experience full of light and love, not darkness and despair like my friend's experience was.

As I thought about these two men I thought of the parable of the ten virgins and how we must have oil in our lamps so that we will be prepared. 

President Spencer W. Kimball taught that this oil is obtained drop by drop though all the little things we do.  He said: 

"In our lives the oil of preparedness is accumulated drop by drop in righteous living. Attendance at sacrament meetings adds oil to our lamps, drop by drop over the years. Fasting, family prayer, home teaching, control of bodily appetites, preaching the gospel, studying the scriptures-each act of dedication and obedience is a drop added to our store. Deeds of kindness, payment of offerings and tithes, chaste thoughts and actions, marriage in the covenant for eternity-these,too,contribute importantly to the oil with which we can at midnight refuel our exhausted lamps. (March 2009 Ensign)

We obtain our oil drop by drop in doing the little things. We teach our missionaries about the power of doing the little things consistently. The power of daily scripture study, daily prayer and of doing our duty are these vital acts. These are the little things that make up our lives, but the power that comes from doing them consistently is not a little thing. Doing these little things provides the oil that lights our lamp of faith that will prepare us not only for the Lord's coming, but also for those difficult times when without the light of the Spirit we could find ourselves in darkness and despair.  

The Bible Dictionary says that olive oil was used to light the lamps during the time of Christ and that is is a symbol of the presence and influence of the Holy Ghost.

Our friend who found himself in darkness at the death of his wife was like one of the foolish virgins.The light that he so desperately needed in the dark moment of his wife’s death could not be given to him by another. It had to be gained in the same way my brother in law had obtained the oil in his lamp through a lifetime of correct choices in doing the little things. I am so grateful for my brother-in-law’s example of faith to me.



At this Easter season as we focus on the triumph over darkness and death by He who is the Light and Life of the World, I rejoice in the knowledge that I will see my precious sister again and that the love she shared with her husband and daughters will endure forever. As I reflect on the precious gift of immortality and Eternal life purchased at such an expensive price for us, my  desire is strengthened to increase the oil in my lamp so that I might be better prepared, not only to meet the Lord when He comes again, but to also be better able to meet my trials and challenges with greater faith and to hopefully be better able to help others do the same.


Hallelujah!











12 comments :

  1. Beautiful analogy. Thank you for the reminder that the small things add up to the great strength. XO, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Happy Easter! I hope you are enjoying your new ward. They are lucky to have you!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful reminder right before Easter. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Julee. I know you know all about this sort of thing. Happy Easter.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful thoughts for this Easter weekend. I love the reminder that Easter brings of the Savior's triumph over death for the same reason you mentioned. I can't wait to see my Momma again, and so many others I love. I remember the moment so clearly when my Dad gave that prayer after my Mom passed away. Thank you for reminding me of how special it was.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be one of your most beautiful and profound posts yet! You always have such an amazing way of putting things into the perfect words. What a sweet time to remember our precious Rita and how sweet to be reminded of Scott's strength and faith. This truly is living proof of faith and the power of it. This quote by President Kimball brings me such comfort and desire to have my lamp full at all times to be able to be spiritually prepared for whatever trials come my way. I can only hope and pray that I will handle my trials in such a way as Scottie and his girls did and continue to with the strength and faith in the Lord. I'm so thankful for the ressurection and this Easter holiday to celebrate and embrace Him. Thank you for sharing this.

    Love you so!

    Meggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your great insights, Meggie. I'm so grateful for you and your faith. Happy Easter. Love you too!

      Delete
  7. Beautifully written, Bianca! You have a real gift for using personal experiences to teach gospel principles--thank you for sharing! We love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete