Access Code
Sorry, code is incorrect

Security Code - Don't Remove

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

"Starry Starry Night"



After my last post listing some of the health issues we have encountered here with our missionaries some of you asked for more info about "the monkey bite and the human bite." Concerning the human bite I'll just say think of Mike Tyson. It also was the only time I ever raised my voice at a missionary,(ok so maybe I yelled) when I found out that the elder's ear was starting to turn black and I told him in no uncertain terms (and in Portuguese too) to get himself and his white shirt and black ear down to the doctor immediately which he had previously neglected to do after being told by me three times to do so!  The good thing is that it all worked out fine and lessons were learned! (At least we hope so :)

After seeing that long list of health problems you may think that those are the things we remember most about the mission, but it really is amazing how those experiences tend to fade from our memories, and what stays with us most are the shining moments. I've heard it said that when you look back on your mission it is like looking at a night sky full of glorious stars. You don't really focus on the dark areas because they only serve as the backdrop by which you can see the brilliance of all the  stars.
Here's a few glimpses of some of those stars that will shine forever for us:



THE BAPTISMS





THE VIBRANT NEW CONVERTS



THE  WONDERFUL CONVERT FAMILIES






THE MEMBERS
The Stake President asked us to speak at a Stake Fireside and it ended up being a surprise fireside/party in our honor. We were overwhelmed! 

They gave us our own soccer shirts.







THE CHILDREN









THE YOUTH






THE FOOD
Shrimp Moqueca
Açai bowls
and Pão de quejo (Cheese bread)




The amazing variety of fruits and of course a churrasco - Brazilian barbecue




THE TREES







THE BEAUTY

The first time I've seen white cows. I called them vacas celestiais.





THE CITY OF SALVADOR AND THE CULTURE OF BAHIA








THE CREATURES




THE RAIN


NO MATTER HOW LARGE OR SMALL EVERY CHAPEL HAS A FLOWER ARRANGEMENT ATTACHED TO THE PULPIT



RECONNECTING WITH OLD FRIENDS
David reconnected with the Bangerter brothers from years ago. It has been wonderful having Paulo (right) and his family living close to us as he is serving as President of the Salvador South Mission. And his brother Howard is now serving as the President of the Brazil Piracicaba mission.



David ran into one of his old companions, Elder Sondregger from many years ago when serving as a young man in Brazil. He and his wife are serving a mission in São Paulo working on an initiative to help the members in need raise Quail for their own consumption  as well as a business opportunity.

Below David is pictured with Randy and Susan Boothe the head of the BYU Young Ambassadors. David knew Randy from his youth in Portland, Oregon. He had not seen him for years. They brought the YA to perform in our Mission. It was wonderful!

AND MAKING WONDERFUL NEW FRIENDS

I will miss these little guys on my window sill
This senior couple, The Haslams from San Diego served three missions together in Brazil! And Sister Haslam had to learn Portuguese. They served out in a small branch in our mission and brought it to life! They were such a blessing!

The Strong family from Michigan are members of our Church who came from Michigan with their three sons for a three year assignment with Ford. We met them "by accident" in the airport one day. None of them spoke Portuguese. Very brave! They are now on their way to their next assignment in Shanghai! Here they are pictured with some other wonderful friends from Portugal.
THE SERVICE

Providing wheelchairs for a local community


THE MISSION PRESIDENTS SEMINAR WITH ELDER HOLLAND


AND THE MISSIONARIES. ALWAYS THE MISSIONARIES























AND THE WORK






















ONWARD


EVER ONWARD

                                                                  



















































































8 comments :

  1. Why am I crying???? I can't believe all you've been through. I'm going to add to your list--THE COLORS! This has been the most colorful 3 years of your life. Your pictures are amazing. I can NOT believe the trees! And your beautiful missionaries. And where can I get a skirt made out of ties? That is amazing. I know my daughters would wear it.

    Thank you for sharing the last 3 years with us. I know we've only seen little snippets, but WOW! You have lived a whole life down there and sucked the marrow from the bone. Thank you, for all your beautiful words and inspiration.

    NOW HURRY HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And once again, LOVE THE TITLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bawling! I can't believe it's time for you to return home to us. I'm sure it's bitter sweet for sure! You have made so many memories and relationships there. You have touched so many lives!!! I am so beyond proud of you two. What an accomplishment. Now, hurry home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many amazing moments! You have served your Heavenly Father and the people of Salvador so very well. We're counting down the days until we can hug you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started crying the minute I read the title to your post, before I even read a word. Now that I've read it I feel as though my heart could burst. Every picture is filled with so much love. It's hard to believe there is that much love in the world. I can feel it as though I experienced it first hand. I'll never forget the moment I left my mission. I was sailing away from Sardegna on a big boat to Rome. All the faces of the people I loved were standing on that dock fading into the distance. It hurt more than anything I'd ever felt. I sat in a corner of the boat on the floor with all my luggage and cried through the whole night. In the morning we arrived in Rome. As the faces of those I left faded they were replaced with the faces of my family standing at the airport. The thought of those faces brought so much joy and love. I was going home. You're coming home! You did it Binkie!! I'm so proud of you! Now get here so I can love you in person (beware, I may forbid you to leave ever again!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such sweet memories you have made. The people of Brazil will forever remember you and dad. Bring the monkeys home and we can add them to my farm :) Don't bring any black ears home though. Love you mama. So proud of what you and dad have accomplished these past three years. "You're not hard core unless you live hard core" and you definitely lived hard core! Now get homeeeeeeeeee to us!!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the others, I am in tears, Bianca. I see such love and joy and life in all these pictures! Thank you for sharing your mission with us. No doubt it's been life-changing-- for you and all those you've interacted with over the past three years. I know there will always be a bit of Brazil and these beautiful people in your heart. I can't wait to see you and hear more stories from your mission, as only you can tell them. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful Bianca. The love shines through. Makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete