Our mission has come to a close and I cannot let it end without writing a few thoughts. First of all I have to say how grateful and in awe I am of my companion, Bianca. She has been magnificent! It hasn't been easy, but she has given all her heart, might, mind and strength. She won the hearts of all the people here. Her talks became legendary and she gave them all in Portuguese. I know she doesn't feel like she ever mastered the language, but I have seen the promise fulfilled that President Eyring gave her that the language would not be a problem for her. A counselor in our Stake Presidency suggested she should publish a book with all of her talks, as many people would ask her for copies. It was amazing how she could speak with power and even make spontaneous humorous comments. Many times missionaries would write to me saying how Sister Lisonbee's trainings made such a difference in their lives. Several investigators shared that it was her testimony that helped them have the courage to be baptized. Some of the Elders told me that they wanted to find a wife just like Sister Lisonbee. I didn't have the heart to tell them that might not be easy!
These last three years have flown by. And this last has gone even faster! When I handed the phone and the keys to the new president, President Lazenby, (Yes that really is his name) I felt a confirmation that he is indeed the right man to take over the mission at this time. However, I still keep checking my phone every few minutes. I even dreamed last night about a missionary that needed help. Some habits die hard! The truth is we will always care about each missionary we served with and the wonderful members as well.
Sometimes people ask me what has been the biggest challenge in the mission. I think I would have to say that the geographical size of the mission and trying to visit all the branches and missionaries in all the locations was one of the most difficult challenges. I would also have to add that driving has been stressful, to say the least. (Just ask Bianca). I thought Italy was crazy, but believe me it was nothing compared to this kind of craziness! While driving in the interior we often had to navigate through huge pot holes sometimes the size of a Volkswagon, dodge donkeys, chickens, cows, people, and snakes, but that was easy compared to the city where we were often surrounded by swarms of motorcycles always buzzing in front, back, and on the sides of us.
When asked what the most rewarding aspect of the mission has been for me, I would have to say it is seeing the growth in these wonderful missionaries. Many of them come from very difficult family situations with little support and all of them have sacrificed much to be a full time missionary. I have loved seeing them transform from often timid and uncertain young adults into men and women of confidence, conviction, and testimony.
Being involved in this great work we have seen miracles everyday. We have witnessed the Lord's hand in the lives of our missionaries, converts, and members. I can truly testify that this is His work!
I would like to say to our children and grandchildren that serving a mission is one of the greatest things you can do in your life. In Doctrine & Covenants 4, it says that "valiant service saves the Lord's ministers"...it "bringeth salvation to his soul." It has been Bianca and I who have been blessed the most by our calling to serve here in Brasil. There are few things in life that can bring more joy than seeing the joy of someone with whom you have shared the Gospel. We are grateful that we have had the sacred opportunity to serve in this part of the Lord's vineyard. While it hasn't been easy, it has been a magnificent blessing to us.
Thank you for sharing this journey with us. We have felt your love and prayers!
![]() |
| Passing the baton (phone) from President Lisonbee to President Lazenby! |



Deeply felt. Gratefully received. How we have been blessed by service and service by friends such as the Lisonbees.
ReplyDeleteWhile the past three years have, at times, felt so much longer, we so grateful for your examples, faith, strength, and willingness to serve. We love you!
ReplyDeleteAs always, I'm in tears after reading this post. There are so many emotions right now! I can't imagine how you guys feel! We are so very proud of you. What an incredible accomplishment to the Lord. You will never know how much we look up to you and admire your sacrifice to serve these missionaries and people of Brasil the past 3 years. We are so excited to get you back!! Well done, Mom and Dad. Well done!!!
ReplyDeleteLove, Meg
Well done! 👊🏻
ReplyDeleteI was wondering how I survived 3 years without both of you and it came down to two words.... this blog! I can't believe how much I looked forward to reading it. When I'd get a notification that a new post was available I'd wait all day, I'd put the kids to sleep, get everything done I needed to, just so I could sit and read this blog in peace and relish every word. Thank you for taking the time to write it. Your words gave me strength, peace, joy, laughter and above all, it gave me a piece of you! There are a whole bunch of people counting down the minutes until you get home (including Bob and Randy from Harmons! ha!) I love you both so much!
ReplyDelete